Thursday, January 8, 2009

News and Views

Minneapolis (and I'm assuming St.Paul can be included since the Twin Cities are really one metro area) has made the top of the Most Literate Cities list.

I love this kind of news.

In the Minnesota Senate race Norm Coleman has now decided that speed is not the first objective - remember on Nov. 6th when AP reported Coleman as saying (regarding the cost of a recount),
It's up to him whether such a step is worth the tax dollars it will take to conduct," Coleman said, telling reporters he would "step back" if he were in Franken's position.

Right

And if you want to read somethig REALLY depressing, take a look at this article in Salon regarding the W Legacy.

On a brighter note, I've finished Boy-child's glittens (he wears them every day!), I've started working on the second sock of a pair for P (I put them away last month 'cause he wouldn't be needing them but suddenly he may need them rather soon), and I started a new pair for a secret, seditious gift with a yummy yarn...

And from Harlot's page-a-day calendar today, one of my favorite words explained:
The term "Luddite" is used to describe a person who is opposed to new technology, mechanization, or industrialization, as in "he doesn't even use e-mail - he's such a Luddite." It's named after Ned Ludd, an English knitter who lost his cool in 1779 and smashed two knitting machines that he felt threatened his livelihood. He was so opposed to knitting becoming a mechanical process that his name is now synonymous with resistance to progress.
Who knew? I use the term luddite in a most unfriendly fashion in the library and now it turns out Mr. Ludd was a knitter...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have referred to my husband as a Luddite. I may need to disclose to him that it turned out to be a compliment.

Ironic said...

What a great use of seditious.
Wonder what it is and who it's for?