Friday, June 13, 2008

TGIF

Yes, thank the gods it's Friday... and Drunken Knitters' Night* at Merlin's Rest...

Let's start on a positive note, shall we? Did you know that the New York Public library publishes a "25 Books to Remember" list? Take a look at the 2007 list for titles to add to the "to be read" pile (we all need more titles there, right?)

Did you hear about the drug trial that got thrown out of court in Australia because the jurors were doing Sudoku instead of paying attention to the proceedings? (Sounds like the opener for a joke, doesn't it? )

In politics ... I have to confess that I have seen a certain charm in Huckabee in spite of the fact that he's a Republican (we all have our shortcomings after all). Alas, my image of him was shattered today when I found out he'll be doing commentary for Fox News. Really. IMHO he can never recover from working for Fox. I'd like to think I have a sense of humor, but this week's Fox coverage of Michelle Obama being "Obama's baby mama" was too much. Not that I had a positive opinion of Fox before this week.

Knitting news: April's baby's pullover sweater is done. My apologies to those of you who aren't on Ravelry. Tomorrow is WWKIPD (World Wide Knit in Public Day). See you at the park.

And on the kid front: Girl-child and I went to Talking Volumes last night to hear Judy Blume. What a wonderful woman. Really. Remarkable. If only I had known Margaret when I was 12 years old. Anyway, we stood in line even though girl-child had forgotten her book to be signed, and the publicist didn't want to let her by when he saw that she hadn't purchased a book, but she slipped past to get her program signed, and was able to thank Ms Blume for Deenie; when girl-child was diagnosed with scoliosis she knew what was happening (even though her parents didn't).

*OK, they call it the Crafty in Minnesota group (from Ravelry), but that's not what we call it ...

No comments: