Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Parenting

Recently I was tagged with a meme that included a question about what we learn from our children. My response was that all my ideas about nature vs nurture were thrown out when I had children because it was all such a surprise.

Life’s greatest joys and most profound sorrows can be related to raising children. Really, it’s the most challenging adventure possible; I don’t care what anybody says about climbing Mt Everest or reaching the South Pole.

And yet, all of the hopes parents may have for a child can be reduced to one simple one: survival. Boy-child disappeared last weekend and we are reduced to that one desire. He had been doing well over the past months after having trouble last fall. Last week we found out he was slipping in school. Now he’s gone.

I have tried to make this blog entertaining, visually pleasing and not too whiny, but I can’t let this go unmentioned. At the same time, I will not go into the “should haves” and other self-flagellating details, of which there are plenty.

I’ll try to find fun stuff to post – to entertain myself as much as anything - but if I’m absent a bit, or if I seem down when you need a bright spot in your day, take a look at some Happy Thoughts of the Day photos here.

In the meantime, I will try to continue to find the usual (boring) stuff to blog about. Right now boring would be good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. That is a parent's nightmare. You and he are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

your blog is never boring and always a joy to read ... this one, too ... beautifully written!
oh my, my word verification is "pester" ... hope I don't do that
fish

Suzique said...

We're all waiting with you.