Sunday, November 2, 2008

Leaves, Socks and The Campaign

The Dreaded Black Socks are done. This is what they looked like when they had only the toes to be fused: In a fit of industriousness I decided to rake before knitting - I got over 20 bags worth done - bagged and taken to the city compost drop-off. This is part of the first car-full before bagging:
So I'm over 1/2 done. Who knew a postage-stamp sized lawn could end up with so many leaves? (One of those trees above has not lost any leaves yet).My true goal this weekend was to make the Ironic Baby some red, white and blue mittens, but alas, I have no outline or measurements of his little hands (hint, hint). I really don't remember what the size of 2 year old hands is like. I did manage to make a hat for him which I will call The Election Day Hat, although I believe it is going to be too warm on Tuesday to wear it. I will send it off to school with Boy-child on Monday anyway, with the hope that I get a cute picture with Ironic Baby wearing the hat (hint, hint). I tried a new technique and it's quite different from anything else I've made. It was also very quick so the mittens will be a breeze. Also, don't forget, I need the outline of the father's foot as well as the baby's hand since there is an algorithm for calculating the baby's growth rate based on the dad's foot size ...

I now have only three pairs of socks on the needles; one pair only needs a mate, one is in hibernation (I think I'll take it with to Chile) and one will be coming out of hibernation. There is also an orange hat and the cardigan. This will all be done when I am watching election returns and beyond, I guess, since I got suckered in to volunteering for the Obama campaign on Monday night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to Chile? I missed the memo.

Ironic said...

Umm... how can I measure him when I'm still in the Lone Star State?

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE!!! The socks be done!
Nice leaves ... and I'll match ya leaf for leaf anytime!
fish person

Suzique said...

ironic baby? do say more!