Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Girl Who Went Away

For April book club we read The Girls Who Went Away. We don't usually read such heavy stuff, but Susan was inspired and we thought it seemed like a good idea and so it ended up on the list.

Then last month I discovered that someone I know otherwise, we'll call her Frida, was a girl-who-went-away in the 1960s. When I found this out I nearly fell off my chair. So I invited her to talk with my book club and she graciously agreed.

Book club was last night. Only two people came. Makes me think it was more than people could take on a warm spring evening.

Anyway, the four of us talked about the book and Frida told her story and we discussed how awful it was that there was such a stigma and so many were basically forced to give their babies up for adoption and how unfair that the young men were off the hook and the girls who didn't get pregnant were considered innocent and really, there was so much behind it all and it was all so horrible.

I think the worst part though, is that so many of the women were not allowed or unable to talk about what they went through. Secrets make a bad situation worse, I think, almost without fail. This particular secret was so personal, too.

I could go on forever, I suppose, but I won't. It was sad. At the same time it is inspiring to know how strong the human spirit can be.

Thank you, Frida.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice person you are
the sensible fish

Sarah said...

Yes - it was so sad. It was also so nice of her to come and tell us her story - and I agree, reassuring that despite tragedy, the human spirit is strong. I snuggled extra close to my little man when I got home (who was, thankfully, sound asleep).

Suzique said...

I am grateful for her courage, honesty, openness and humor. It was an evening I won't forget.