Monday, January 20, 2014

Free Day

 I had the day off work today and not a single obligation to anyone.  I hardly knew what to do!

Although I seriously considered going to a movie I decided I was having too much fun knitting, reading, listening to music, etc.  I did go out to Stillwater to visit Darn Knit Anyway; didn't find what I was looking for but did find some awesome stuff. 

On the way home I had an epiphany.  I've had this humungous pile of scarves, hats, mittens and gloves piled up on the dining room table.  How could I organize them and get them out of the way?  A closet shoe organizer, of course! (sorry for the awful quality of the photo)  I may have to alphabetize them or at least organize them by color, but you get the idea:



Also, did you know that, including the Target down the street from me there are five Target stores between my house and Stillwater?   That's one every five miles!

Then I decided to finish a pair of gloves I had started in … 2006!  Urban rustic gloves in Noro Silk Garden.  Clever pattern, awful yarn (they're knit the long way, garter stitch, with a crochet cuff).  I skipped the button closure.  Actually, I made up the whole crochet cuff thing, but it worked:



And I finished my new popover mittens too.  They won't be warm enough tomorrow, but pretty soon I'll be able to wear them:

That's it.  No more holidays until Memorial Day in May.  There will be knitting in the meantime, but no days quite as leisurely as today.  

I am currently reading Hyperbole and a Half, The Warmth of Other Suns and Memoria de Mis Putas Tristes.  No, I don't usually read three books at once.  It was an accident.

3 comments:

kmkat said...

Don't you get President's Day off? Those gloves are neato.

Mary Lou said...

President's Day? (or is it Presidents Day?) I refuse to knit gloves, but those look cute. I will make it ot DKAnyway one of these days.

soxanne said...

No, we don't get Presidents' Day off. I suppose it was a trade-off for MLK or the day after Thanksgiving (same situation at my last job).

Oh well.