Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Antiques Road Show

It turns out that there were about 35000 requests for tickets to the Antiques Road Show. They award 3000 sets of two tickets. That means there are 6000 people at the show; each can bring two things for appraisal.
Honestly, I find it hard to believe that people have a place for these things in their homes.

Really? These two guys were being filmed, so you might see them on the show.
Folk Art was one of the longest lines.
I wonder if that's the case in other parts of the country, or if the Midwest leans toward Folk Art more than other places.
'Cause where else would you find a bear bench but here or Alaska?
We took three small family treasures.

The first...a gold locket given to my Irish grandmother when she was a girl by a Swedish neighbor. Forever treasured, my grandmother forever regretful that she had damaged the soft gold by nibbling on it.
Not gold. Very common turn of the century. Value? $15-20.

The second item, a gold watch purchased by my great-grandmother before the turn of the century with her earnings from being a school teacher.



Dated 1895, gold-fill, in working order. What would be a $20 watch was valued at $150 because of the pretty color work.

I guess the main lesson here is that all that glitters is not gold.

The third item, a Belleek pitcher, hand painted by my great-grandmother around the turn of the century. This is the one thing my mother had in the house that I always coveted. She gave it to me about four years ago.

I love it because it is beautiful but not flowery. I love the handle.
And I have the perfect spot for it in my dining room.
Valued at $300-500. The pottery and porcelain guy was quite snobbish really, so the best part about the appraisal was that he said my great-grandmother was a talented artist.

It was a fun, long day. The Minneapolis part will show some time in the beginning of 2012.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got tickets! What fun. I didn't apply because I knew we would be on vacation. Tried to get tickets to the show in Madison last summer, no luck. Eventually... I have a pewter/silver/unknown coffeepot that is pretty impressive, with gargoyles and such on it. My mother bought it from a Norwegian bachelor farmer back in the 1950s; he didn't know where it had come from.