Wednesday, January 5, 2011

This and That

So many things going on all the time and I haven't been ranting or musing aloud about any of them - time for some contemplative ruminations, dontcha think?

I heard they've scrubbed Huckelberry Finn of the N word for modern consumption. Honestly, I can not believe it. George Orwell was right. Girl-child says it's so that they can teach the book in suburban schools without offending all the African American students. Right. I don't know where to begin in my rant. Let's clean up Shakespeare next, shall we? And Dickens. Oh hell, let's just clean up everything while we're at it.

On a brighter note, Miss Q and I went to see The King's Speech the other day. Brilliant movie. Incredible acting. I can't say enough good things about it. Colin Firth should definitely get the Oscar. Go see it. I was so inspired, in fact, that I rented Shine so that Boy-child could see Geoffrey Rush in that too. He was unimpressed. Oh well. (Yes, we'd already seen A Single Man).

And speaking of ... I've been watching Dexter while I knit. Third season. Boy-child and I were discussing what went wrong with Dexter in the third season. I say it's Rita. Dexter is best when he's a loner, not a family man. Any other opinions? I've also been watching Castle, which Girl-child got me hooked on. And the National Geographic Taboo series. Those are both good.

What have I been knitting? Slippers and hats. Guess I'll have to take some pictures, eh?

Also, If I may be so bold as to pilfer stuff from The Kat's blog; she finds the coolest things!

Like this, the Wall Street bull all knit up:

and this, a picture filled with fifty movie titles:

That's it for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may need to get those movies. Haven't seen any of them. The King's Speech probably isn't out on DVD yet, though -- will have to wait for that one.