Thursday, July 10, 2008

Books and Movies

I guess today's Thursday This and That will be book and movie focused:

*The Modern Marvels discussion this week was about Maus by Art Spiegelman. It was great and we'll be looking forward to going to the next four.

*Get Smart was a fun movie - I don't know what the critics' problem is. It was exactly as I expected: silly and fun. (Of course, they are a bit snobby at Salon).

*The Wind in the Willows is boring. There, I said it. I'm not sure I'll be reading it for book club because it's just too slow. (I will, of course, go to book club to kibbitz and nosh whether I've read the book or not).

*Mad Money was not fun it was boring. I thought Queen Latifah, Katie Holmes and Diane Keaton would be better. I was wrong. (No, I wasn't expecting a brilliant film, I wanted to be entertained).

*I scored a used copy of Ken Follet's latest book, World Without End at a used book store for $18.00.

*Tomorrow is Drunken Knitters Night at Merlins Rest. Be there or be square.

*I finished a pair of socks today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, in the past few weeks I keep encountering people who are reading Pillars of the Earth and/or World Without End. Everyone likes it. I read it years ago so have only a vague memory of it, but Follett can definitely keep my interest.

otoh, Maus is a classic. Is it a series of four? I read Maus and Maus II; maybe I need to check my library on-line catalog :-)

soxanne said...

I like Follet's style - I read Pillars quite a few years ago and found it very engaging.

Maus is a two volume set - Spiegelman was a trail blazer, that's for sure. Try Persepolis and/or Fun Home too for more graphic memoirs.

Anonymous said...

I, too, read Pillars and enjoyed it a great deal ... not sure if it was because the woman found a way to felt that wool and market it and ya know how I like to felt (am I remembering that correctly?)...let me know about World Without End ... reviews were not in love with it but then that is just the reviewers - the knitting fish