Tuesday, March 24, 2009

New Words and Other Stuff

Things I've stumbled upon recently:

Neuroeconomics* I'd never heard the term before. These are the people who are trying to figure out how we ended up with the economy in the state it's in. Take a look a the books written on the topic here.

Good luck with that, I'd say.

*not to be confused, by the way, with Voodoo Economics or Freakonomics


I also found out that there is such a thing as a Black Velvet beer cocktail. This merits further investigation. I find the idea of a beer cocktail rather silly since I've always seen beer drinkers as one group of people and consumers of cocktails as another, completely different group.


There are also two things I'd like to share about the Library of Congress' good sense (of humor) in subject classification: 1) that snakes are found under QL666 and, 2) that Biblical studies are filed under BS. Of course, it is a system based on the orgainzation of Thomas Jefferson's personal library.

And today's favorite news story would be the one about the 93 year old man who is a certified survivor of both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to drink icy beer with green olives ... that salty taste was wonderful after it soaked in the beer ... for some reason I thought it was called something like a MKE martini? Wisc martini? none the less, it was at least as tasty as that cocktail
the fish

Suzique said...

And LC put knitting under TT (which in sans serif fonts looks like two knitting needles).....