Tuesday, July 2, 2013

ALA 2013

It was quite a trip, I must say...while Chicago is not my favorite place for a conference (McCormick Place is too far away from anything else), there's always a lot to see and do at an American Library Association Conference.

All of us who are poor and traveling at our own expense stayed at Hosteling International.  It was like this mural in the stairwell was made to welcome us - a whole wall with this at its center:


There was very little sightseeing.  Actually, there was pretty much none.


But I did get some good eats.  I mooched from as many free food events as possible, plus I ate at Yolk, P. F. Chang's (I can not resist chicken lettuce wraps), Eleven City Diner and Miller's Pub.  I understand that Miller's is an institution of sorts (good burger, too early in the day for a beer though).


I completely fell apart as far as my resistance to free stuff.  I got a few books.  Actually, I had to check my bag coming home because it was too heavy for me to lift into an overhead bin.


I also was not going to go to Loopy Yarns, but unexpectedly found myself there one day.  Didn't buy yarn.  Did buy a bag.  Turned out to be very useful.  (They were very kind and gave me my birthday coupon from March, which I had not gotten because they did not have my updated email.  In the spirit of returning a favor, I sent two people there for yarn and bags.  I'm all about spreading the love, dontcha know).


The one good thing about McCormick:


These are the people I saw speak/be interviewed:  Steven Levitt, Temple Grandin, Oliver Stone, Alice Walker, Paula Poundstone (and a few other comedians), and Olivia Spencer.  More about them later.

No comments: